Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stop and Touch Yourself!

Oh yes I did just say that! I want you all to stop for a moment and touch yourself. What? Why? Has she lost her mind? Well, what I really mean by touch yourself, I mean give yourself a self breast exam. Do it! It's not going to hurt, promise. Just take a moment to get to know your breast, this includes men as well. Breast Cancer does not discriminate at all. Men and Women get breast cancer don't think you are safe because you are a male or because whatever you think. Just remember it doesn't discriminate.

You can let breast cancer sneak up and bite you in the ass hard or be educated about it and know your breasts. Either way the diagnosis of breast cancer isn't an easy one to swallow but being able to catch it in its earlier stages can be done just by knowing your breasts. We can do so much to try to prepare and avoid cancer but when you have it you have and it sucks. I want to go up to everyone I know and ask them have you felt yourself lately? I know that a few of my friends where able to feel what my breast cancer felt like when I had my breast still. Did I feel weird that they were touching my breast? Naw! Why not you ask? Well seriously do you know what breast cancer feels like? Do you? More than likely not. I know I didn't until it snuck up on me. Why would I not let my friend feel what an abnormal lump feels like? It does not feel like a normal lumpy breast but it is hard. So I did let my friends and family; those who wanted to felt what my cancer felt like.

What is the purpose of my post? I just really want you all to take the time to do monthly exams. I don't want my friends or family have to go through what I am going through. It is not easy. Not one step of this is easy at all. I am not the same person I was last year around this time and I wont be the same person next year around this time either. This experience has changed me. It has opened my eyes. It has brought me down and has lifted me up. It has showed me what I am grateful for. Showed me that even though I may have my tough times I have my family and friends who are behind me to help lift me up.

I am that person. What person you ask? Well I am the my mom's, friends, coworker daughter had breast cancer. Or my friends friends cousin......when you are diagnosis with cancer it effects A LOT of people. People I have NEVER met are effected because they know me somehow. People reach out in ways I have never imagined. I am blessed. I am grateful. I am so happy that I was able to wake up today and continue my fight.

I want to share with you all something that my Mom's coworker gave to her. It is an eye opened. Its more like WOW!

This is something interesting and this is what is making me write my post. My mom's coworker gave her this key chain. Each bead on this represents the different stages, if you want to call it that.  I will explain a bit more about it. But the beads go from largest to smallest.


As you can see the card says that the largest bead (pink) is what someone would feel who is untrained in breast self exams. So if you don't check your breasts monthly and decide to this is probably the size the breast cancer would be. The bead measures 1 1/2 inches. I want to say that my lump was between the pink and brown bead. Did I do monthly breast exams? No I didn't. Do I wish I would of? Well of course I do. Do I want to encourage everyone to start doing them regularly? YES!! PLEASE PLEASE check yourself. Do it for me, do it for your self. 

The Brown Bead (second largest) is what could possibly be detected for an occasional breast self exam. The bead above that one is regular breast self exam, and the rest of them are first mammo and yearly mammo. Now which would you like to see? Ya of course what a dumb question right? I wouldn't want to see any of these sized lumps in my breast but if you had to choose which size would you want? Me? Personally I would want the smaller ones!


Remember that the beads represent the different size lumps that could be found using these self detection. A lot of what I posted is personal experience. Everyone is different. All I ask is that you educate yourselves and touch yourselves once a month. Make sure your boobies are doing ok. I don't want any of you to have to experience cancer of any type. It is exhausting and life changing. But please do me a favor and check yourself out. 

Well I think I will stop my blabbing on and on. Cancer is no fun. Please all I ask is to check yourself out. I am off now. Time to get some energy since I have been lacking it lately. 

Tata for now!

No comments: