Monday, April 29, 2013

One Heck of a Week

OMG! Last week was CRAZY!! I am so glad that it is OVER with! So much happened that I do not even know how I managed to do everything! So let's start off with Chemo day!

Tuesday- Everything was going great. I was in a great mood, the sun was shining, my knitting instructor stopped and chatted; it was easy!
Ready for the Battle!
Everything was going great and I was dressed for the task that was laid before me that day. My dad got us some AMAZiNG food from The Rainbow Cafe! 
Best Chicken Soup Ever!!
Chemo was rocking on and I was knitting and crocheting. Doing my thang! 
Than as we round the corner to my easy herceptin something happened to my port! The nurse hooked me up but the IV pump kept saying something was wrong. So my nurse checked out my port. Well, this is where the fun began! We could get blood out of my port but NOTHING would go in! We couldn't flush the port at all! They have had patients where they couldn't get blood out but could flush it. It has happened to me before but what was going on this time was the FIRST EVER!! None of the nurses have ever seen this happen. How could they get blood out but nothing in?!?! They adjusted the port and nothing! The kept pulling blood out and nothing. They took the needle out and re accessed my port again. Still nothing would go in. They even tried to get the medicine that dissolves clots in and it just wouldn't budge. They took the needle out AGAIN and sticked me AGAIN but this time they put the dissolving medicine on the needle. So we waited 20 min and then they tried the port. This time they could flush the port! YAY! BUT they couldn't get any blood out!!!! What the Heck?!?!?!?! Something was going seriously funky with my port. The nurses had no idea what was going on. They called the Dr and he wanted a dye test done on my port. What?!?! I started to freak out! What if my port wasn't working? What if I needed a new port? Is my chemo going to be delay? OMG I didn't want any of that! So the nurses where trying to get me in to get a dye test that day. While they were doing that this is what happened:
I finished off my chemo in my hand. OUCH! I hate IVs in my hand they are the worst! So I spent the last 30 minutes with this horrible thing in my hand. We were not able to get in to get a dye study that day. I was tired. I had been poked THREE times and I was not looking forward to getting poked again! I went home with my port still accessed.
It was very interesting to go home with the needle in my chest! 

So on Wednesday I went to Good Sam to have a dye study done on my port. I was as positive as I could be. They put the dye in and took the photos. I got to see my port INSIDE my body! It is FREAKING AMAZING!! I wish I took a photo so I could show you what the port looks like inside! The Radiologist Dr said nothing was wrong with my port. That everything was in working order. There were no kinks or rips the dye went where it needed to go, it didn't spill out. So what the heck is wrong with my port? I still don't know. The Dr said that my port could have a myelin sheath of connective tissue on it that was acting as a one way valve. So he explained that the possibility is that because the port was accessed correctly it may have needed to be adjusted a little bit. That when the nurses where try to get the blood draw back that the connective tissue was acting as a valve and pinching off the tube. So we will see what tomorrow brings!

Wednesday night- CJ and Grandpa go out to enjoy the good weather after dinner. They are outside riding their bikes and I am enjoying my time inside. Well than my dad comes into the house with CJ in his arms crying and bracing his arm. At this point I am just COMPLETELY DONE. I wanted nothing to do with anything. I was extremely exhausted. I was just stone cold exhausted (I feel bad now that I was like that) but I was just done with my week and I didn't want any more excitement. So we iced his elbow and I gave him some pain meds. We made a makeshift sling for his arm and I told him to head to sleep. Told him that if it was still hurting in the morning we would go to the Dr  All through the night my poor baby was in pain. He stood home and we went to the Dr the next morning.

At the Dr we got an x-ray! CJ was excited to see his bones! He was in pain when they made him extend his elbow but I think him being able to see his bones afterwards made it all the better lol.
We left the Dr and waiting to hear results. I get a call later that day saying that there is a fracture! Once I heard he had a fracture I felt HORRIBLE! My poor baby had a fracture and all I did was tell him to suck it up!! What a horrible mommy I was! So the nurse told me that he needed to see a pediatric orthopedic surgeon!  So I called and scheduled an appt and we got in on Friday!

At the orthopedic they examined him and looked at his x-rays again. She showed where the fracture was and CJ told her where he was in pain! So on went a cast! CJ was very excited about his first cast. I on the other hand felt like crap that my baby got a fracture! So he is in a cast for two week. We go back on the 9th to get x-rays and get the cast removed.
He decided to get a purple cast because that's both his and his grandmas favorite color. He is happy to have a cast on and NO it has not slowed him down. He is still bouncing off the walls and everything.

Saturday came and I chowed down like I had not eaten in weeks! My energy was low but I was still going. I was not wiped out like my last big chemo. Than Sunday came and OMG I felt like my bones wanted to break! It is the weirdest feeling EVER! My bones HURT!!! It literally is painful to lay down or sit down.  I am still in a bit of pain today but nothing like it was yesterday.

I had my blood draw today and my WBC are OFF the charts. They are so high. There are a few things that are really high and its making me scared. I like when I am in normal range but I freak out when I am low or high. I have NEVER seen my White Blood Counts this high EVER! I will find out what is going on tomorrow if it is something I need to worry about. 

Well I think I am going to get ready for bed. I hope you all enjoyed my week! LOL. Love you all!


Shannon said...

Hang in there! After watching my dad for the last 7 years or so, I can tell you that there are GREAT weeks and there are completely disaster weeks. You get through them and keep blazing a trail girl, I know you can! I hope this week proves to be a much better one for you!

sylvia said...

Everything is gonna be okay Cousin Just remember we are all here for you and think positive Momma You are a great Mom. When we go through these things we have our days But our kids know when we are not ourselves Not to mention they are the most forgiving